Friday, January 13, 2012

Kurt gets an IDEA

In order to change, we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.
– Author Unknown 

I believe the best way to improve your health is through systematic changes to your behavior rather than a diet. I've been working on this for about four years; however, my dietary improvements picked up a lot more speed when I began dating my amazing (now) fiancee, a registered dietitian.

Resolutions for 2011:
  1. Get my cholesterol checked, and
  2. Use the slow cooker I've had in a cabinet for 5 years.

In fall of 2011, I got a long overdue cholesterol check (crossing off resolution #1). It was borderline high. While I do a lot right, it was an indicator that I need to be doing more for myself. I have a family history dictating that I cannot ignore even a borderline high number. Around the same time, I got a postcard about a weight management study with objectives matching what I intended to do on my own. The research study, conducted by the University of Pittsburgh School of Education Physical Activity and Weight Management Research Center, is called Innovative Diet Exercise & Activity (IDEA). IDEA is an "enhanced behavioral intervention to improve long-term weight loss in young adults" ....that goes for two years (yikes!).

Here goes nothing.... I took the pre-screening phone interview and, to my surprise, was enrolled into the program.

In December, I went to the orientation day. The study plans to reduce daily caloric intake to 1500, increase exercise to 300 minutes, attend group meetings, and log my food and exercise. Depending on which of the two study groups I am placed in, I may also get to wear a nifty BodyMedia Fit armband that keeps track of my physical activity. There are body measurement checks at 0, 6,12, 18, and 24 month markers. There's nothing new here.  The study is a comparison of how groups with the armband do against those without the armband. If the study reminds you of the basic premise of Weight Watchers, it's because programs like WW are based on data from these studies.

In the final few days of December, I kept both resolutions and used my slow cooker.

Pre-screening phone call weight: 208

No comments:

Post a Comment